a blog about my quilting life...mostly

a blog about my quilting life...mostly

Thursday, March 4, 2021

Spring happenings at Farmhouse Quilts

 ( please click title to read this post in your browser)

I am rather optimistically using the word SPRING in my title! Although we have had a few really nice days, and our snow is almost gone, the temperatures this coming week are not exactly warm...

BUT, there is definitely more birdsong in the air, and in it is starting to smell like Spring, so I know it will be here soon!

I have a few little ( and not so little) projects in the works currently, but it is a house reno project that has been taking most of my time these last few weeks! 

Most of you already know that we bought a 40+ year old house a few years back and we did a LOT of renovations on it before we even moved our family in ( think removing wallpaper, removing carpet, removing 40 year old linoleum, painting every surface in the house, installing new flooring, overhauling bathrooms with new everything....get the picture?) The one item we didn't really tackle was the kitchen counters and cabinets. They were serviceable enough and kitchen redos  are expensive!

Here is what our kitchen looked like before we moved in: 



And here is what it looked like after we painted the cabinets:
  
Certainly much brighter and a huge improvement, especially when we laid a new, white floor, and covered over the wallpaper ( we had 4!! different wallpaper patterns in the kitchen). But a few weeks back I really got the itch to redo our kitchen with new cabinets and a new countertop ( Spring fever maybe?). I hoped/figured/thought that if we did all the work ourselves that it couldn't possibly be that expensive. Well, we met and worked with the nicest kitchen designer at a local home improvement store, but even with us doing everything except countertops, the cost was still more than we are comfortable spending at this time. I was a bit bummed, but then my mom and I came up with the good idea that we could at least remove the overhead cabinets over the peninsula. Not only did they block the view, their bottom edges had already caused quite a few bumps and bruises on our heads! 

Here you have a good view of them:

Now you must know that once I get an idea in my head I would like to have it done yesterday ( my poor husband is a very, very patient man!), so we got to work and removed those cabinets. The removal wasn't too hard at all, but the subsequent moving of existing electrical, installation of  new electrical, and all subsequent drywalling, spackling, sanding, and painting took the majority of our time. At first my hubby thought that removing these cabinets really wouldn't make a huge difference, but he now admits he was wrong! ( Do I take pleasure from that? Yes, yes I do). Here is a picture of the AFTER: 

 After the addition of some new pendant lights over the peninsula, it now looks like this: 

( I should have done dishes and removed paint cans before taking pics, but hey, I was excited!)
This little make-over has made such a difference already that I can totally live with the old cabinets and countertops for a lot longer! And hubby obviously enjoyed the transformation because he started work on removing the old, ugly, bug-filled ceiling light above the sink and that  space will have a new beautiful pendant light soon too! Little, simple things can make such an impact, but I know that I am lucky that my hubby can do electrical ;).

Now onto more quilty things...
A few weeks back I bought some wonderful red and white orphan blocks at my favorite store...I adore red and white and these blocks needed a new home! 
I sewed them together as they were so the quilt top is wonky, to say the least, but I think it adds to the charm! I chose some embroidery designs and ironed those in the center of the blocks and have been busy embroidering these: 


I think this is just going to be a fun quilt to use on our sun porch come summer, wonky and all ;).

Other than the red and white wonky quilt, I have also finished my Winterberries quilt, which I will quilt using a big stitch: 

And then of course I have my happy little tulip blocks to work on: 

And finally, this latest little project, which came out of the same book ( click)  as the tulips. I just couldn't stand the cuteness of it and HAD to start it....




So, as you can see, plenty of projects to keep me out of trouble ;).

I do hope that Spring is starting to show in your neck of the woods and that you are finding some lovely little projects to keep you busy until we can spend more time outside!

Until next time~happy creating!
Monique




20 comments:

  1. Your kitchen looks so inviting and beautiful. What a great idea for the red and white blocks. The embroidery will really bring out the beauty of the quilt. I love all you do. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to make my head swell Kaye! But thank you for the compliments :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! You have been busy your kitchen looks wonderful. Great job! Love your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your kitchen redo is amazing. I love all your quilting projects too. The red and white wonky blocks/quilt will be so pretty when finished. I struggle with leaving older, wonky blocks as is but you've shown it can work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I have absolutely no problem with wonky because my own blocks can be quite wonky as well. And thanks for the kitchen love!

      Delete
  4. Your kitchen is beautiful! What a visionary you are! Love your projects too. I’m always happy to see what you are working on. Spring will be here soon! 🌷🌷🌷

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the white cabinets. I have begged my husband for decades to paint our cabinets. I just don't like dark brown, but he cannot paint the wood. He said it would hurt his soul. So here I am with dark stained cabinets in my very tiny galley kitchen. Sending spring pictures to the Facebook page for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that again and again that people can't paint wood...wish I could help you convince your hubby that it is worth it! Maybe if the choice is all new cabinets or painting these ones?? Good luck, and thanks for the Spring photos!

      Delete
  6. Nice update on the kitchen, what kind of paint did you use. I’d like to redo mine. Let’s hope spring arrives soon, aim so tired of winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used trim ( glossy) paint on our cabinets. Easier to clean and hopefully a little hardier than semi gloss or eggshell.

      Delete
  7. Your kitchen transformation is AWESOME! Paint can really brighten an area up. I love the projects you share. They are so inspiring ❤️ Thank you for all the work you do behind the scenes for our Farmhouse Quilts Family...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, paint does so much and it is a relatively cheap and easy make-over!
      Thank you for your kind words xx

      Delete
  8. Wow, makes a huge difference. So open and spacious now. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitchen looks great. Do you ever rest? I love your energy and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha, I enjoy life, what can I say ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when you guys redecorate, love the look of the kitchen. I also love all your makes. Its autumn here in Oz, but where I live its hot and sticky and not nice atm, I keep praying for cool weather and lots of rain. Have a great weekend my friend xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Guida...I hope one day you can see it in person!

      Delete

I love it when you leave a comment!