a blog about my quilting life...mostly

a blog about my quilting life...mostly

Saturday, May 15, 2021

The challenge project...times two

 Hello again, 

This week I'm back to share not just one, but two challenge projects that I been busy with this past month....but I cheated....shhhhhhh, that is just between us ;) 


Every once in a while, in the Facebook group associated with my blog, I like to issue challenge projects. These are always optional, but ( I hope!) fun little projects that I hope inspire people to get creative. In April I shared the image of these cards that I found on Pinterest and challenged the members in my group to make a project, any kind of project, inspired by these:

( cards made by Donna Mikasa)

To make matters more interesting ( or more complex...) our quilt guild Facebook group was issued this challenge: 

Think of a color. Now use that color and it's complimentary color in a project that also incorporates the number 7 in any way you choose.

For this project I chose this adorable blue polka-dotty fabric ( I think you all know by now how much I LOVE polka-dotty fabrics!):


And for the compliment I chose this fabric:


Isn't it funny that I used to really dislike orange, but these days I actually like it and use it quite a bit in my projects....tastes do change!
I thought about how I was going to incorporate the number 7, but I did it in a very subtle way...I wonder if you can figure it out? ;)

Both of these projects were due the same day so I very cleverly combined the two challenges and came up with this final project:




I have used my chosen color ( blue), and it's compliment ( orange), incorporated daisies and a heart from the cards, but where is that number 7?? Have you spotted it yet? Look carefully at the daisies. They each have 7 petals ( or scallops)! Very, very sneaky, no?

I also added a few hand stitches around the heart, simply because I wanted that organic and imperfect addition.

I decided to machine quilt this one with loops and daisies and leaves ( seemed fitting) and it actually looks pretty decent. ( There are a few birds nests on the back, but this will be a wallhanging so I'm not stressing over those).

For the binding I chose this orange and white Gingham because it reminded me of picknick blanket and this is a summery quilt.

I am happy with the way my project turned out and think it will add a nice, cheery look to my husband's Under-The-Stairs- Covid- office space.




By the way, if you would like to join my Facebook group, you are very welcome to! It is a warm and welcoming place, filled with super sweet and supportive women. I try and share all kinds of free patterns and resources as often as I can, and then add in challenges and exchanges for anyone who is interested ( right now our exchange is a scrap bag exchange and people are having fun with that!) My group is open to everyone who subscribes to my blog ( the subscribe button is located on the right-hand side of the page, near the top). Just follow the instructions for signing up and you will be all set. ( If you received this blog post via your email inbox you are already signed up!). Once you are a blog follower, go to my facebook group ( click ) and ask to become a member there. Easy-peasy ;)

Alright, I am off to start thinking about a new project...or maybe I should finish an old one?? ;)
Until next time~happy creating!
Monique






6 comments:

  1. The quilt is adorable! I don’t like orange but have seen lots of blue and orange together. I love blue so can use the orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I used to despise orange, but years ago I went and found orange quilts and was so taken with them that I actually learned to love the color ;)

      Delete
  2. So cheery as all your projects are!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I am so glad that my quilts are cheery....that is just what I hope for!

      Delete
  3. So sweet. Especially love your quilting.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!