a blog about my quilting life...mostly

a blog about my quilting life...mostly

Monday, June 28, 2021

About sunporches, gardens, and quilts

 ( please click on title to read this post in your browser)

Hello friends, 

We are deep into summer weather here in Pennsylvania, which means it is muggy and sticky and hot...thank goodness for air conditioning and pools, although the latter we just put up this past weekend and the water is probably a bit too cold for my liking at the moment...let's see how desperate I get ;)

We are enjoying our sunporch quite a lot! It is a nice place to sit and eat dinner, especially with the fan going or a breeze blowing. 


In our college town there are quite a few moving sales happening after graduation, so last week I was able to score this baker's rack for a good price.  


I have always admired baker's racks, but never owned one, so I had fun "styling" it for our sunporch!

This one has a rack for wine bottles at the bottom too, but seeing as we are not huge wine drinkers ( not to mention that storing the bottled wine in the heat would probably be a bad idea!), I decided that  it could hold rolled-up magazines perfectly! 





And if you ever have a chance to hang one of these hammock chairs, I highly recommend it! They are the perfect spot to lounge and relax...and maybe even have a little nap!

My garden looks so good right now...the Hydrangea bush that pretty much got destroyed by the fence crew is making a nice comeback. I wish that you could see the colors of the blooms in person! It is the most amazing periwinkle blue and I cannot get enough of it! I think other than Hollyhocks, these lacecap Hydrangeas are my favorite flowers....but then I can't get enough of daisies either....Hahaha! Just as with fabric, I can never have enough flowers! ( Did I mention that the lady who runs the local, temporary flower and plant tent in a local parking lot recognizes which car I drive? That's probably a bad thing, right?) 





Even with all the flower and plant adoration going on over here, I did manage to spend some time with my sewing machine this past week! I have been working on our summer sewalong project, and it has been so much fun to work on! ( If you would like to join in it is not too late, just click through my older posts and look for the "summer sewalong" titles!). It would make for a great scrap quilt, but I have seen some stunning versions from people in my FB group that are using a limited color palette, so really it would look great in any color way! Here are my blocks so far: 
 I started out making a scrappy version and then changed my mind and decided to use soft blues and pinks. That proved to be too boring for my liking so I started adding in some reds and bright greens and dark blues and now I'm much happier :). Some of my fabrics are pretty funky too...do you see those chickens? But I  like it and that's all that matters! 





I haven't decided yet what size I'll make the quilt, but it will at least be 36 blocks....as long as I have fabric I will keep going and I still have quite a pile! 

A few weeks back I shared a little embroidery that I started. I found the pattern in a Simply Vintage magazine and enlarged it just a little so it would make a good pillow size. It is not quite done, but getting there ( although I do think the humidity is slowly erasing the blue marker so I better hurry up and finish it!) 

Well, those are all the updates from the farmhouse for this week.
Wherever you are, I hope you are staying cool and comfortable and until next time~happy creating!
Monique

6 comments:

  1. Hello! Your sunporch is lovely! The quilt looks nice. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Glad it has cooled down, wish it would cool down here in Muskoka Canada! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greeting from Seattle. Everything looks so pretty. The sunporch is where I would be sitting, having my morning coffee. Your garden is so nice. I'm loving the quilt with such bright, cheerful colors. We are now finally cooling down after a very hot week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, your post was so lovely Monique! Your porch looks so relaxing and inviting. The quilt has such fun fabrics too. I’m glad you are enjoying summer and your flowers. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sun porch 😍 it is so cute; and your chair looks so comfy. You always seam to find good sales!Hope the graduations went well! Your quilt is turning out really cute. I plan to make it once I come back from vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sun porch looks wonderful and cozy - I would love to sit out there and working on a hand sewing project! The summer sew-a-long looks fun, someday I will do these, but for now I have a huge backlog of other projects :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Monique love your place and the garden is awesome. I dont seem to be getting any emails telling me you have a new post. I checked and Im still subscribed and I even checked my junk folder in case my service provider is doing something silly. Oh well Ill just have to check your blog once in a while. Take care my dear. Guida

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!