a blog about my quilting life...mostly

a blog about my quilting life...mostly

Monday, June 21, 2021

Summer sewalong part 3

 A happy Monday to you!

I'm here to share part 3 of our summer sewalong. I hope the pace has been nice and easy and perfectly summerly? It certainly has been for me. And I like having the new instructions come out on Monday because that gives me the weekend to finish the previous week's assignment ;)

If you are just joining in with the summer sewalong you are able to read part 1 and part 2 by clicking here and here.

This is the quilt we are working on: 



The quilt consists of just 2 blocks, so if making a big quilt is not for you at this time, you can easily downsize it to make a table runner or small wall hanging. And if you would like to make a BIG quilt, you can easily do that as well. So versatile!

Last week you were supposed to cut the fabrics for your blocks, and this week you are going to start sewing your blocks together. These blocks are super easy and fun to put together!
 
Grab your fabric for block A  and sew the 3 3 by 6 pieces together. I pressed my seams to the dark side:




Now cut your sewn piece in half so that you have 2   3 by 8 pieces:



Sew your light 3 by 8 piece of fabric between the 3 by 8 pieces, as shown, to construct your PLUS:

If necessary, trim your block to 8 inches square and you are done with one block A! 



One hint: In order to have your plus pieces line up nicely, line up your seam allowances, like this: 


For block B you are going to sew the exact same thing, except you will be using your opposite fabric to construct a dark PLUS, like this:








I found it worked fine to press my seams to the dark side in both blocks, but you can choose to press open, if that suits you better.

So go ahead and start sewing some blocks and see how many you get done.
I actually ended up changing my fabric pull so had to start all over with my blocks, but they are simple and fun to make so it shouldn't take long at all to sew a few.

Have fun, enjoy, and ask questions if something is not completely clear. I will see you back here next Monday for the next part of our sewalong!

Until next time~happy creating!
Monique






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when you leave a comment!