a blog about my quilting life...mostly

a blog about my quilting life...mostly

Saturday, November 5, 2022

I still hate you, Catcher in the Rye!

 Hello friend, 

Remember in high school when you were forced to read certain books for English class?

I don't know about you, but I LOVED reading books~ any and all books~ right up until that moment when I was told I HAD to read a certain book. That took away any enjoyment I got from reading.

                                       ( image source)

This past month that same feeling crept over me, but this time it was over...QUILTING....EEEKK, I know! 


If you are here reading my post, I suspect you are as addicted to quilting as I am. Petting fabric, finding a new pattern, finishing a project...all these are any quilter's dream. But somehow, when you MUST make a quilt, the fun disappears. And that I what happened to me....

Let me explain what happened: One organization in our town holds an annual Winter Fest, where makers and artists display and sell their wares. When I saw an ad come by in my Facebook feed asking for applications I thought "why not?"  So in the heat of summer I applied for a spot and started working a bit half-heartedly on some Christmassy projects to sell.

                                       ( image source)

You know how some people can do that whole Christmas in July thing? Well, I CAN'T. I need chilly temps and the smell of wood smoke in the air before I can get into the Christmas spirit ;). Plus, I wasn't going to find out until end September whether or not I was accepted so really didn't want to invest too much time and effort into making.

September 30th arrived and I received the long -awaited email: I was in! I might have squealed a little with excitement, after all this was going to be my very first show. But now it was time to get down to the serious matter of making products! 

So for the past 6 weeks I have been making and making and making some more! After all, it is important to have lots of wares to display ( and hopefully sell!). But when you must always be making something, and every spare minute is dedicated to that, it somehow takes the fun out of creating...

                                      ( image source)


I cannot even explain how giddy I felt when I finally packed up all my goodies, ready to transport them to the venue for setup. I was DONE, yippee, hooray! And I realize that I don't ever want to feel that feeling of relief again....not about my beloved hobby...

( all of my makes gathered together)

( my booth, all set up)

So this may be the one and only vendor show I ever do, unless I make beaucoup bucks....then I might have to do some serious thinking ;)


Until next time~ happy creating....and not for craft shows! ;)

Monique

P.S. These days I love reading again ;)

P.P.S. Enjoy my blog posts? Consider signing up to receive them via email every time I publish ( no more than once a week, usually much less!) Find the sign up in the side bar.

19 comments:

  1. Yes production under schedule takes the joy out of crafting! I've experienced that myself a little (I am trying to fight the feeling and not get like that Gollum meme you posted - ha!) as I am trying to restock my Etsy shop for the holiday season.
    Congratulations on getting into the craft fair and I hope it is much success. I am with you on not being able to make Christmas stuff in July. I too need the colder temps. But you got it done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't want to look like him either? Hahaha. Good luck restocking your shop ;)

      Delete
  2. Love the blog ..I too love to read.....and that's where the trouble begins ..I read and don't get my projects finished..lol. I hope you sold a lot...love your work ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I have set up for a couple craft shows and agree with you 100% on how stressful it is and how it takes the fun out of your beloved quilting/crafting. Although it was worth it in the end I find I haen't felt like doing any more craft shows. Wishing you much luck as your booth looks wonderful and wait for an update on how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean, I think I'll stick to filling up my Etsy shop from now on ;)

      Delete
  4. Many years ago…like about 40 years ago, I sold items at some craft shows. I did fairly well, but got burnt out keeping up with replenishing inventory, and disliked doing special orders.
    After awhile, I decided it wasn’t worth it for me, the stress, having people complaining about the prices, feeling overwhelmed, etc. I ended up buying a quilt shop instead…which was fun, but also a lot of work. I hope it goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad to know it is not just me! Do you still own your quilt shop?

      Delete
  5. I agree with everything you mentioned in your post. I love sewing and quilting but not making multiples of the same thing with a deadline. No Christmas in July for me. I love reading but I'll choose the books and read them on my timeliness. I love gardening but after having a greenhouse retail business for 10 years not so much now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess too much of anything is never a good thing?

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on perseverance and completion. You are so right about the subject which applies to so many things in life. Reading, cooking, cleaning, and quilting or crafting. We can enjoy all until it becomes a task. Your blog is so well written and I enjoyed reading it. You are connecting with your readers so well. Keep up the beautiful work and the beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your display is so beautiful! Now, you can enjoy the upcoming holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is nice to have this out of the way early....now I can start decorating for Christmas....but it is 70* at the moment...that is way too warm to get into the Christmas spirit.... hahaha

      Delete
  8. I have been quilting on my longarm for about a year now and sometimes people ask me will I ever start quilting as a business. I think that would suck the joy out of it for me. I may quilt for a few friends but nothing with deadlines - too much stress. I admire people who do put in the hard work and make very pretty things. Your display looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Monique, I'm so happy you were able to be productive and take so much to the craft fair. You do beautiful things, so my guess is you took much less product home than you took there.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!