a blog about my quilting life...mostly

a blog about my quilting life...mostly

Monday, June 7, 2021

Summer sewalong part 1

 Hello everyone, 

I am hosting a free and easy summer sewalong and today is the first day for sharing instructions! I will be sharing instructions every Monday so if you would like to sew along just keep an eye out for a blog post on that day. 

First of all, here is the link to the free pattern. It is by Jeni Baker for Art Gallery Fabrics: Abundance ( click)   

Here is another color version: 


This pattern makes a nice size quilt, at 60 by 75 inches, but is made up of just 2 blocks, so you can very easily make it smaller or larger!

Your instructions for today are very simple: Choose your fabrics.

This quilt consists of just one simple to construct block, BUT is made in a dark and a light version so you will want to choose fabrics that contrast enough that you can see the "plusses". 

These are 2 sample blocks that I made: 

I'm not sure if the top block will work because there is not a lot of contrast between the 2 colors, but I will keep if for now and replace if necessary. Obviously the contrast is very good in the bottom block.

So that you can plan your fabric needs, I am providing you with the following guidelines. 

For EACH block ( which finishes at 8" square) you will need the following pieces of fabric:

(2) 3 by 6 rectangles of fabric A

(1) 3 by 6 rectangle of fabric B

(1) 3 by 8 rectangle of fabric B

You will have to figure out how much fabric you need, depending on the size quilt you want to make. Because there is just one block it will be easy to make a smaller of larger version. You can choose to go as small as a hot pad ( one block), but could also make a placemat, wallhanging, tablerunner, or even a bed-size quilt. The possibilities are endless!

As for color, you could choose to do a scrappy version, which is what I'm leaning toward, but it would look equally pretty done in just two colors, or pastels, or Christmas fabrics...choices, choices!

So to recap: Your assignment for this week is to decide on what size quilt you think you want to make and what colors you think you want to use. Just make sure that you have enough contrast between your lights and darks. And please leave me a comment telling me what color(s) and size you are leaning to!

Until next time~ happy creating!

Monique


6 comments:

  1. Thank You ! Perfect project for summer.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity of this. My plan is to use up some Christmas fabrics. But then again maybe I should put a dent in my 30"s prints. Or use up some Bonnie and Camille treasures. I've got some thinking to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...and that is why these are the only instructions for this week! Good luck with your decision😉

      Delete
  3. I'm trying to picture it in two colors, with all the crosses one color and the background corners the other. Almost a basket-weave effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be gorgeous too! I hope you try it that way and send me a pic!

      Delete

I love it when you leave a comment!