Hello quilting friends,
I cannot believe I am writing up the instructions for AUGUST'S gift idea already!
I hope you have had fun picking and choosing some gifts to make these last few months and are getting stocked up for the holidays~ they will be here before we know it ;).
This month's gift idea is a bit open-ended. I am going to show you how to make a sweet yoyo decoration, and then YOU get to decide what you want to use it on! Here is what my finished one looks like:
Isn't that cute? These are basically three yoyos stacked on top of each other, topped with a button, and this is now ready to attach to some hardware ( or something soft!) to become a one of a kind gift!
The great thing is that these are super simple and fast to make and would make a nice portable project if you are looking for one.
This is what you will want to gather:
* your CIRCLE die with 3 sizes (click!)
*scraps of fabric
*button
*needle, thread, and scissors
*hardware
*possibly a hot glue gun
Here are your steps:
1. Grab some coordinated scraps and lay them on your die ( make sure the selvage faces the sticker side so you don't get stretch!). Top with a mat and run through your machine.
2. You now have 3 circles, in graduated sizes:
3. Grab a needle and some strong thread:
4. Turn your fabric to the WRONG side, knot your thread, and start basting around the outer edge of your circle ( about 1/8-1/4" in from the edge). You don't have to be that precise but try to stay as consistent as you can. IF you cannot do hand work, you CAN do this part with your sewing machine as well. Just increase your stitch size to a fairly long one ( and leave a tail of thread for gathering).
5. Once you have stitched all the way around, gather your fabric by pulling on both thread ends and form a yoyo ( in England they call them Suffolk Puffs and I think that name is so much more fun!). DO NOT tie a knot or cut off your thread yet!
I did try to push the raw edges to the middle so they are not visible, but don't worry about that too much. ( p.s. I had no photo of my blue fabric being made into a yoyo so that is why this is white ;) ). Use your needle and leftover thread and stitch through your yoyo center to the back, and back to the front a few times to secure your fabric. Then you can knot and cut off your thread.
6. Repeat this process on all your circles.
7. Now it is time to stack your medium and large yoyo and stitch them together ( through the centers and just to secure them ( the "gathered" ends facing up). Try and center them as best as you can.
8. Grab your smallest yoyo and place it on top and attach it, THEN attach the button.
* my photos show a button on my smallest yoyo BEFORE sewing it onto the stack...it is easier to attach the yoyos first and then to sew on the button. Do as I SAY, not as I DO :P )
9. And there you have your very own Suffolk Puff stack!
Now you can decide what you would like to do with this!
You can...
attach to barrette clips to make hair accessories....
glue to clothes pins to make the cutest pins in the neighborhood!
glue or sew onto a LARGE paperclip to make a darling bookmark:
or attach to a brooch pin to make a one of a kind brooch that you can attach to clothing or a bag!
I wouldn't recommend attaching these to any item that is going to get washed because the edges are not finished and may unravel a bit.
I hope you enjoy making some of these and please do share in the Facebook group if you do.
It really is a fantastic die that can be used for so many projects so I highly recommend it!
As always, if you have any questions, please reach out to me!
Happy creating!
Monique
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when you leave a comment!