Wow, can you believe it is September already??
Pretty soon the holiday season will be here, and if you have been following along with all these gift posts since January you should have a pretty nice pile of presents and decor ready to go!
{ I use affiliate links in my blog posts. When you buy through one of my links I receive a small commission at absolutely NO extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting me in this manner}
This month I decided to share another ornament idea...but of course I always try and make these ideas open-ended, so feel free to use these for gift tags, garlands, or whatever else you can imagine ;). And you can of course use ANY die that you like ( although I do have a word of warning for you~more on that in a bit).
By the way, I should mention that I saw this idea on JediCraftGirl's blogpost years ago and I changed the process a bit!
This is what I made for this month's gift idea:
And here is what you will need to get started:
*fabric scraps
*jute/burlap ( tightly woven is easier to work with)
*stuffing
*ribbon or twine
*pins and scissors
*fusible web ( if using a "layered" die)
*simple die shapes ( try to use those that are "complete", not those that you have to "build")
*sewing machine
These are the steps I took:
1) Prep your fabric by giving it a good press. Some starch is pretty helpful for this project if you have some on hand. Apply fusible web to any pieces that need to be layered on top of your chosen shape.
2) Cut your scrap large enough to cover your die ( making sure the selvage can be placed on the die correctly(=facing the sticker side) and run it through your machine. If you are using some "buildable shapes", run the fused fabric through as well.
4) Cut your burlap slightly larger than your fabric shapes and pin your shapes all around, leaving a small opening at the top.
5) Using whatever thread and stitch you desire, stitch around your shapes leaving the top section open.
6) After sewing around your shapes, stuff a little bit of batting inside ( less is better) and manipulate it around to spread it a little bit. It does not need to go in all the nooks and crannies, just a bit in the center of the shapes.
7) Now add your hanger ( ribbon/twine) and make sure to push it well inside so that your finishing stitches will catch it. Pin in place and finish stitching around the rest of your shape.
8) Grab some sharp scissors ( these are my absolute favorite: I own 4 pair! Click here ) and trim around your fabric so that a small edge of burlap shows ( don't cut your hanger!!)
( back)





















So cute. You do such fun and lovely things. I am old and can't invest in a die cutter, but I bet I could figure something out. I always love seeing what you are doing!
ReplyDeleteVery cute.
ReplyDeleteYou could spray the stuffing with a cologne to make these scented.
ReplyDeleteFrom Carolyn Sunderman
Delete