a blog about my quilting life...mostly

a blog about my quilting life...mostly

Thursday, July 23, 2026

Making simple quilt labels using your computer and ink jet printer

 Hello quilters!

When you finish a quilt project, how good are you about adding a label to the back?

I have always been ( pretty) good about adding labels to quilts made as gifts, but I am really bad about adding quilt labels to projects for our home. And that is a shame, because quilt labels are really fast and easy to make, and it is fun to look at a label to discover how long ago you made something.

So today I'm going to share how I make my labels! 



These are the supplies you will need:

Freezer paper, cut into an 8.5 x 11" sheet

Fabric ( preferably light and not "busy") cut to 8.5 x 11"

Iron

Some Scotch or masking tape

A shallow tray to fit your paper/fabric

Some vinegar

Computer and printer


1) Cut your paper to the size above and use your iron to attach the shiny side to the back of your chosen fabric. This may take a few passes, keep going until it is well-adhered. Just to be doubly-sure it does not separate while going through your printer, attach a little piece of tape to the top edge so that it is secure.

2) Use any program on your computer to type your label information. I like to add a title, the recipient's name, my name, and the date the project was completed. You can even import photos if you like!

3) Print a test paper to make sure everything looks good and to check WHICH WAY your paper runs through your printer ( ours, for example, pulls the paper through and then flips it over as it prints, which means I have to place my fabric/paper in upside down and facing toward the printer).

4) When everything looks good, feed your paper/fabric piece through your printer, making sure that the taped side goes in first, just to keep everything stuck together ( you do not want your fabric to get stuck in your machine!)

5) Place some vinegar in a shallow dish and soak your label for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with water, press dry between some thick towels ( or air dry) and then heat set the ink with your iron.

Tadaaa! You are now ready to trim your label to the desired size, turn under the raw edge,  and attach it to your project ( I will print multiple labels on that one piece of fabric if I have room).

I can't say for sure how long a label like this will last. Eventually I think it will fade, but I have yet to find a label that has completely disappeared so that is a great sign.

I made a movie describing the entire process, which you can watch here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/whq1gZePdbSXgeBb8

Please use caution and try this at your own risk. I cannot be responsible for jammed printers or ink that transfers. I personally have not had a problem making labels in this manner, but I cannot guarantee it will work for everyone.

As always, if something is not clear, please ask!

Happy Creating!

Monique




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when you leave a comment!